When Are Clearances Required?
Volunteers are required to obtain clearances as follows:
- Since August 25, 2015 all NEW volunteers must obtain clearances prior to beginning service.
- By July 1, 2016, any volunteer registered prior to July 1, 2015 must obtain clearances.
- Volunteers registered prior to July 1, 2015 applying for any position that requires a new BSA Adult Volunteer Application must submit clearances at the time of application.
- Clearances must be renewed every 60 months. The finger print based FBI criminal history check must be renewed every 60 months until establishing residency.
- Important Note – With the exception of the FBI Fingerprint Check, volunteer clearances may be applied for, at no cost to the volunteer, every 57 months.