Chainsaw Basic Operator Course
This course is for both beginners and seasoned chainsaw operators who wish to become certified to operate a saw on either Pennsylvania Dutch Council properties or for personal use. Those who have taken previous versions of this course may get re-certified and extend your credentials to 5 years. This course consists of twelve hours of combined classroom and practical hands-on training.
SKILLS YOU WILL LEARN:
- Proper maintenance and safe operation of outdoor power equipment. Chainsaws, Pole-Saws and Hedge Trimmers.
- Cutting and Felling techniques- how to do it effectively and safely.
- Identifying and dealing with hazardous trees and identifying when to call in a professional.
- Be a registered member of the BSA and at least 21 years of age.
- Be in good physical condition. (Part A & B of physical form is required.)
- Commit to attendance for entire course. Lodging at Camp Bashore is optional however you must be present for all sessions to complete the course.
- There is a limited supply of Helmets and Chaps. If you have your own, please bring them. Also you will need personal safety glasses, leather work gloves, and sturdy work shoes (no sneakers) preferably safety toe shoes. Wear appropriate work clothes, no untucked shirts or loose clothing. Be prepared to work outdoors on Saturday.
WHEN: November 12-13, 2021
WHERE: Bashore Scout Reservation
COST: $25 per person Food and lodging is included
Space is limited to TWELVE (12) Persons. Registration deadline is October 31, 2021.
QUESTIONS? Please email email@example.com
or call Ranger Dave Matterness at 717-865-4583 (camp) 717-304-5796 (cell)
Wilderness First Aid Training
Wilderness First Aid (WFA) is the assessment of and treatment given to an ill or injured person in a remote environment where definitive care by a physician and/or rapid transport is not readily available. Adult Scout leaders are invited to participate and earn their certification. This course is certified by the Emergency Care & Safety Institute (ECSI.)
This course has online learning presentations that must be completed before attending the in person classes. Participants arriving at the in person training without completion of the online presentations will not be able to participate will not receive a refund for the event.
COVID-19 Safety Measures:
Class size will be capped at 10 participants. All attendees must wear a mask; eye protection is also recommended. Temperatures will be recorded at entry to screen out anyone with a fever. Gloves and hand sanitizer will be available. Training manikins will be cleaned after each participant practices. Scenarios may be held outdoors, weather permitting. Please maintain a safe distance from other participants. Please do not attend if you are feeling ill.
We are offering two different courses for 2021
Dates: March 20-21, 2021 or May 1-2, 2021
Where: Camp Mack Training Center
Saturday 9 AM to Sunday 6 PM
WFA and CPR Certifications $160.00
Registration closes two weeks before the course starts
What You Will Receive:
Emergency Care & Safety Institute (ECSI) Wilderness First Aid Field Guide
2 Year Certifications in WFA
2 Year Certification in CPR
What You Need to Bring:
Lunch each day, snacks, drinks
First aid kit you would normally carry on a hiking trip
Other Important Information: Overnight accommodations are available for Friday and Saturday night at the Camp Mack Training Center at no extra cost. Please contact Daniel Hanson 717-553-4205 or firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a bunk.
Meals will not be provided, however, participants can use the refrigerator and Training Center kitchen.
Questions: Contact Daniel Hanson at either 717-553-4205 or email@example.com