I’m a New Kernel-Where do I start?
Welcome to your role as a New Popcorn Kernel! Thank you for joining our ranks! Your role in the popcorn and candy sale is a very important one, but you are not alone! Below is some great information to try to help you through your first year! Don’t forget about our fantastic team of volunteers and staff who will be working with you and available to assist every step of the way!
Below are the 5 segments of Unit Kernel Fast Start with lots of great information on what you need to do in your first year. Also check out the Your the New Kernel guidebook!
What does the Unit Kernel do?
The Unit Kernel is the person who coordinates a unit’s fall popcorn and nut sale. Being a good kernel simply means being organized and having lots of energy. It also means being creative and helping everyone with selling popcorn and candy! Check out the Unit Kernel Job Description online!
Check out Part 1 of New Kernel Fast Start to hear about your new role!
How does the sale work?
The popcorn and nut sale has five options in which units can participate:
- Show and Sell
- Show and Deliver
- Take Order
- Combined Show and Sell and Take Order Sale
- Online Sales (Popcorn Only)
For more information on each parts of the sale, check out this page.
Check out Part 2 of New Kernel Fast Start to hear about each of the five sale options.
There are some great tools that you will need to use during the sale including the Trail’s End Prize System, the Keller Prize System, and the online interface for candy orders. Check out the video below for more information on these important parts of the sale.
Steps to Success
Finding success in the popcorn and candy sale comes by following some key steps including:
- Setting a sales goal for your Unit and for each Den and Patrol.
- Communicating the Unit’s plan to assistant leaders and committee members and together, determining a sales goal for each Scout based on the Unit’s goal.
- Conducting a “fun-filled” kickoff event for Scouts and their parents.
- Encouraging ALL Scouts to go out and sell!
- Having a victory celebration!
Check out Part 4 of the New Kernel Fast Start to hear more about each of these steps!
Information and Resources
The last section of New Kernel Fast Start includes information on:
- The 80% rule
- Sale Calendar
- What we mean by 73% return to Scouting
- Best practices for placing your 1st Order
- Online resources